Wednesday, August 30, 2017

This May be Your Last Chance to Get "Made and Bottled in Kentucky" on DVD



"Made and Bottled in Kentucky," my one-hour documentary about the Kentucky bourbon whiskey industry, will no longer be available on Amazon once their current inventory of DVDs is exhausted. It will continue to be available here (i.e., directly from me) until my current inventory is exhausted. The price from me is $28, which includes U.S. shipping.

When my inventory runs out, I may make more DVDs, but more likely I will find some way to make it available via digital download.

So if you want to make sure you have a physical copy in your bourbon library, the time to act is now.

The documentary was made in 1991-92, with grants from Kentucky Educational Television (KET) and the Kentucky Distillers Association (KDA). KET still runs it from time to time on their network. Because it is 25 years old, it is interesting now primarily from a historical perspective, at it was made when we were seeing the first hints of the bourbon revival.

The production was made possible through a serendipitous convergence of events. Kentucky became a state in 1792, so for the bicentennial the legislature gave KET some extra money to fund independent productions about Kentucky subjects. I applied for and got a grant. The KDA had money to give because it had just received a Federal grant for export promotion. I was working in the industry, in marketing, so I was known to several of the distilleries.

At that point, I had been writing and producing TV commercials and other audio-visual material for about 20 years, but always for clients. I had never done a project where I had complete control. That was exciting for me and the main reason I wanted to do it.

There was no issue about independence with KET, but I was concerned about KDA. I finished my grant pitch by telling them that their funding would not give them the authority to approve the script or final product. Bill Samuels Jr., who was there representing Maker's Mark, leaped to his feet (as Bill will do) and proclaimed, "He's absolutely right, because I would be the worst, and if I can't tell him what to do, nobody can." It passed without objection.

This project is also what gave me the bourbon bug. I have been studying and writing about it ever since.

The video above is a short collection of clips from the documentary. There are others on my You Tube channel.

9 comments:

Cowboy Tomash said...

As someone from the old continent I would love to buy this as digital download, without the hassle of physical medium.

Unknown said...

Ever think of updating the documentary, or creating a brand new one?

Chuck Cowdery said...

Eric Byford has more-or-less done it, though it is not yet available on DVD. "Straight Up: Kentucky Bourbon"

Eric Z said...

I vote for digital download.

Wisco said...

I would love to have a option of a digital copy as it is now unavailable. Any idea when that might happen?

Unknown said...

Any time frame on a digital copy?

Pat said...

The link for the DVD is broken... is it still possible to buy a copy from you, or are they gone?

I learned of the documentary from 'Bourbon, Straight' which I've just started reading. Also, while I'm here, thank you for the Hot Brown recipe, it lives up to its billing.

Chuck Cowdery said...

The DVD is no longer available.

Anonymous said...

Is this available to buy digitally?