Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Upcoming Classes.

I teach whiskey classes here in Chicago through I Wish Lessons. Right now, all of the public classes I teach are about whiskey. I recently did a private class about tequila, which was fun.

The classes are held in different bars. They always involve tasting, usually four products. You can also order food and other beverages, stay after class for 'extra credit,' and make it a fun night out with friends, with a little learning on the side.

They also have some cool beer classes, though I don't teach them. Their most popular class is sushi rolling.

I Wish prefers the term 'coach' to 'teacher' or 'instructor.' I usually 'coach' everybody as a group for about an hour, then hang around for individual one-on-one 'coaching.' Class size is typically 20 to 30 people. It's all very relaxed and informal and the students usually determine the course of events through their questions.

The classes I teach are Introduction to Bourbon, Introduction to Single Malt Scotch, Whiskey 101, and Whiskey and Cupcakes. The Whiskey 101 class compares and contrasts American, Scottish, Irish and Canadian whiskey. Whiskey and Cupcakes is similar but the cupcakes let us get into matching whiskey with food.

Here is what I have coming up. Go to the I Wish website to sign up or see what other classes they offer.
  • Tue, May 17th – Scotch (Pitchfork)
  • Mon, May 23rd – Bourbon (Rocks)
  • Mon, May 30th – Whiskey 101 (Pitchfork)
  • Thu, Jun 16th – Bourbon (Rocks)
  • Wed, Jun 29 – Whiskey 101 (Pitchfork)
Pitchfork is at 2922 W. Irving Park Rd., just west of California. Rocks Lincoln Park is at 1301 West Schubert Avenue, at Lakewood.

All dates are subject to change.

I Wish also does private classes, so if you have a group that would like to have a whiskey or other distilled spirits tasting with me as your coach, you can arrange that through I Wish too.

No comments: